PDA

View Full Version : Can alcohol ever be considered a tonic?

Teri23
25th September 2020, 14:30
Growing up my Grandparents often enjoyed an evening ‘tipple’ for ‘health purposes’ :sly: in this modern world, did the older generation have the right ideas, or do we know better now-a-days?:very_drunk:

Honor265
26th September 2020, 09:43
I definitely think alcohol can be considered a ‘tonic’ if it’s just a small glass of red wine or measure of whisky. There are recorded health benefits to it too.

Chloe21
26th September 2020, 11:13
If you're in good shape, moderate drinking makes you 25% to 40% less likely to have a heart attack, stroke, or hardened arteries. This may be in part because small amounts of alcohol can raise your HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels.

Dani
26th September 2020, 13:11
I think it depends on the quality of the alcohol and the quantity, but I think a small glass of a tipple would be good for you both physically and mentally. Although, I think with all things, there is probably a tipping point.

I think alcohol can affect your immunity and of course damage your liver.

Ursula
27th September 2020, 08:50
Alcohol is also a huge cause of mouth cancer!

Saying that, I do believe a small ‘tot’ in the evening of a quality spirit is good as it keeps the blood flowing.

Ben17
29th September 2020, 17:55
My Nan always gargled with whiskey before bed and she lived to 98 so there must be some truth in it being a tonic

Cheryl
27th October 2020, 13:57
Alcohol in small doses can indeed be a tonic but can also lead to addiction so it’s a mixed blessing I think

Gabby
27th October 2020, 14:30
Alcohol in small doses can indeed be a tonic but can also lead to addiction so it’s a mixed blessing I think

Sure;y you would need to have an addictive personality for it to lead to addiction.

Amie
20th January 2024, 17:29
I think everything in moderation and if you believe something to be harmful and take it in excessive quantities then it will be. But if you are sensible and take a snifter from time to time in the belief that it is benefitting you, then only benefits will come to you :jb: