PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux

Gwen Jones
26th October 2016, 19:59
I've been plagued with acid reflux and tried all of the over the counter drugs and doctors drugs, yet still I keep having re-occurrences. Can anyone suggest some alternative healthier options?

Louise
26th October 2016, 21:11
Hi, I feel for you, I suffered for years. I tried all the concoctions from the doctor, with small benefits. In the end I got so fed up of it, I changed my diet completely. Clean eating, changed my life. Then I slowly introduced processed foods and found that certain food triggered me off. I have cut out the culprits and try to eat clean when life allows me.

I did find hot water and fresh lemon helped, although lemon is an acidic fruit, when consumed it acts as an alkaline.

over the hill
27th October 2016, 17:37
An old fashioned remedy, which is still relevant today is 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.

It helps neutralise the acid.

Rockred
28th October 2016, 21:07
An old fashioned remedy, which is still relevant today is 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.

It helps neutralise the acid.

Works every time for me....:) When needed, but that is very rare, because when you follow a healthy diet, you will find that you won't be troubled with this problem.

Louise
2nd November 2016, 22:40
A ripe banana is excellent for settling the stomach, it is a natural antacid. Make sure it is ripe though, it should start to show brown speckles on the skin.

Kellyjames
2nd November 2016, 22:44
Aloe Vera juice is my go to medicine. It will help to settle your stomach in no time and reduce those acid symptoms. Try and choose the inner leaf only and organic (of course), the ones with the outer leaf can be a little harsh, and may promote loose bowel movements.

Mummy2Two
3rd November 2016, 06:54
Is acid a symptom that something isn't quite right?

Either the food you are eating doesn't suit you or your digestion isn't working well.

Louise
3rd November 2016, 17:36
I have just added an quick article about ginger. One of the many health benefits of ginger is that it is a natural antacid, with reports suggesting it is up to 6 times stronger than over the counter drugs. All the benefits without the side effects;)

John B
4th November 2016, 14:29
Surely adding probiotics into your diet will help to get on top of the problems causing the acid?

John B
7th November 2016, 20:07
Ginger, as Louise said it a natural antacid, a couple of slithers of fresh ginger in hot water and you'll feel better in no time.

Jade26
7th November 2016, 20:14
Fennel is great for acid indigestion relief. Try some chopped up in a salad, it has a mild licorice flavour.

Louise
7th November 2016, 20:18
I've just read that celery is also very good for combating acid reflu, plus it is an appetite suppressant (bonus) :encouragement:

Daisy82
10th November 2016, 08:54
Parsley is a great antacid. Add some to a smoothie or chop up in salad. :encouragement:

Kellyjames
15th February 2017, 20:48
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I found out that Kiwis can offer beneficial effects to digestion, helping to reduce acid reflux and help regulate hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Daisy82
20th February 2017, 11:30
Pears are an excellent soothing fruit on the digestive tract and can aid in restoring the pancreas. Pears can help to rejuvenate an overtaxed pancreas, thereby helping to prevent pancreatitis. They can act as an antispasmodic, help soothe the lining of the gut, feed beneficial bacteria and raise hydrochloric acid in the stomach. As a result, pears are excellent for combating acid reflux.

CharlieH
22nd February 2017, 11:39
Are you sure your problem is over production of acid? sometimes underproduction can lead to the same pains and symptoms.

CharlieH
22nd February 2017, 11:45
I found this symptom list, it may help you in recognising your problems.

SYMPTOMS OF LOW STOMACH ACID
Here are some of the common symptoms and disorders caused by low stomach acid

Bloating, belching, and flatulence immediately after meals
Heartburn (often thought to be caused by too much stomach acid)
Indigestion, diarrhea, or constipation
Undigested food in stools
Acne
Rectal itching
Chronic Candida
Hair loss in women
Multiple food allergies
Iron deficiency
Weak, peeling, or cracked fingernails
Chronic fatigue
Adrenal fatigue
Dry skin
Various autoimmune diseases

Rainbow
22nd February 2017, 12:22
I think you have a real valid point there Charlie H, I think the doctors are too quick to assign blame to too much acid, and therefore prescribe antacids, or a drug to stop acid production. Which is quite the opposite from what is needed.

Hydrochloric acid is important for digestion and absorption of many nutrients, which means that for those people suffering the symptoms they may very well be nutrient deficient, and this would show up in numerous other ways.

When stomach acid is depleted it only takes half of the number of pathogenic bacteria to cause disease, and this includes the dreaded big C!
Here is a link to read more http://hansacenter.com/simple-at-home-test-for-low-stomach-acid/

over the hill
19th May 2017, 14:40
Have you tried digestive enzymes? I've found them to be very helpful in reducing/stopping my acid. I take them with every meal, and you can get them from health food shops and probably boots, although I haven't looked for them in there.

Dale42
20th May 2017, 10:48
As I'm getting older I am finding, that I am suffering acid indigestion, it seems to strike me in the early hours of the morning and now I'm finding myself going to bed with antacids to help me get through the night.

Ive stopped eating after 8pm at night and have tried some of the things suggested here with some improvement, any other suggestions that will rid me of this altogether?

sophie
30th June 2017, 07:30
High or low stomach acid is normally always related to a poor diet, or has its origins in a poor diet. Change your diet and you will find relief in your symptoms.

Personally, I think that change of diet is different for everyone. For some, it will be an overhaul of their diet, and for others it may require elimating one or two foods.

The pain can be quite debilitating and can lead to lack of sleep which may result in feelings of depression or poor concentration etc

It seems to be a rising problem that modern society is suffering from.

Kiara
4th July 2017, 18:08
It might sound strange, but have you tried adding a digestive enzyme into your supplements? I recommend taking one with every meal and then one just before you go to bed. You may find this reduces the symptoms you are experiencing.:encouragement:

CristineMichaud
15th July 2017, 10:15
If you constantly suffer from acid reflux it may be worth considering that you may have a hernia. Sometimes hernias can give you the same symptoms as acid reflux.

It is worth a consideration :encouragement:

Rene82
29th July 2017, 21:17
If you constantly suffer from acid reflux it may be worth considering that you may have a hernia. Sometimes hernias can give you the same symptoms as acid reflux.

It is worth a consideration :encouragement:

This is a good point, a sliding hernia can cause loads of problems, get it checked out at your doctors.
In my experience, it is the food that causes acid reflux, so it requires a change in diet, it really is that simple, yet most people choose not to change their diet, preferring an easier option like taking a pill. :doh

Staci
6th August 2017, 16:42
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) as a great way to sort out acid indigestion. It is very effective if taken 2-3 times a day in warm water. But, with all these remedies, it is wise to cut out the offending food stuffs in your diet at the same time as taking the remedies, otherwise you will never win the battle.

Megan
21st July 2020, 15:48
A herb called Filipendula ulmaria is very good at calming the stomach and reducing acid, you can get advice and a mixture made up in your local herbalists.

Vera
23rd July 2020, 18:52
Slippery elm is very good, and help to line your insides, giving instant relief!

Vera
23rd July 2020, 18:54
A herb called Filipendula ulmaria is very good at calming the stomach and reducing acid, you can get advice and a mixture made up in your local herbalists.

I’ve never heard of it, what is it?

Ben17
25th July 2020, 16:03
I have discovered Andrews Salts they work brilliantly and so much cheaper than Gaviscon

Chanel5
3rd August 2020, 13:12
I find a simple glass of milk after a meal works for me. Don’t eat too close to bedtime either

Eve
4th August 2020, 13:44
I find a simple glass of milk after a meal works for me. Don’t eat too close to bedtime either

The problem with milk is that it can cause acid reflux in many people, a lot of people can’t digest dairy and so they have a response of acid indigestion, or reflux, but don’t relate it to dairy.

Freespirit
11th August 2020, 11:02
I find eating late at night gives me terrible acid, also white wine so now I avoid those and the acid is under control.

Polly
8th February 2022, 18:21
Slippery elm in powder form is really helpful at getting on top of acid indigestion and the discomfort it brings. You must put a spoonful in a glass, add juice or water, stir really quickly and stir well , then knock it back.

It’s great stuff but it congeals quickly and can become slimy.

Amie
5th January 2024, 14:30
1 spoonful of apple cider vinegar in one glass of water three times a day can help to stabilise the gut flora and reduce acid reflux.

Obviously stay away from trigger foods. One thing I have done in the past, which does help is belly breathing, as in when you take a breath in allow your tummy to expand and not your chest, do this several times, it seems to work for me, taking the edge of the acid pain.