PDA

View Full Version : Acupuncture

over the hill
26th October 2016, 12:50
Hi, I'm new here, so, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

I've been suffering from back pain for years and have tried all the usual treatments, pain killers, physio etc all of which at times offers some respite. But I wonder what else is out there, if anything. A work colleague suggested acupuncture, but hadn't used it herself.

Has anyone tried it? and if so, do you recommend it?:confused:

Twizzle
26th October 2016, 21:32
I suffered with lower back pain for years, muscle related "knotting" pressing on the sciatic nerve....

I had a course of accupunture which not only releved the issue I also found it very relaxing....

For muscle related issues I'd highly recommend it..

spike418
27th October 2016, 06:27
Had acupuncture various times over a number of years for stopping smoking, hay fever. Most recently in the last month I've had it for bursitis aka students elbow!

Also for knotted shoulder and neck muscles in conjunction with massage.

Seems to have worked.

Only caveat being that sometimes acupuncture can create bizarre side effects, one memorable time, after a lunch time appointment I ended up slurring my words like I'd been on the pop!

Louise
27th October 2016, 07:04
I have chiropractic care for my lower back pain and found it to stave off the over use of pain killers, but I often had nagging sciatic pain down my leg.

During a a few sessions at the Chiroprac he used acupuncture to great and almost immediate affect. I would suggest you try it, bare in mind that you may require several treatments before you start to feel a benefit.

Yogi001
27th October 2016, 07:37
Ive had acupuncture for muscle spasms and I have to say, it worked wonders, and was pain free.

I was very sceptical about it, and in some ways I still am, probably because I don't really understand how it can work.

I think there are different types of acupuncture. I'm not sure what the difference is between Chinese and Western acupuncture, if any.

Kellyjames
1st November 2016, 08:13
I love acupuncture, I find it so relaxing, I think it is the only time when I just stop and be in the moment. Here is a brief overview of the differences, but their are multiple different varieties, all with subtle differences.

Western acupuncture uses current medical models, and needle placement is based on anatomy and physiology.

Chinese or Traditional acupuncture is based on yin, yang and Qi principles. It is designed to restore the bodies equilibrium.

Chinese acupuncture focuses on the individual, so treatments will vary. Western focuses on the illness, so everyone gets the same treatment.

guv-ner
3rd November 2016, 06:58
I've suffered with low back pain for years, and was surprised when my doctor recommended acupuncture.
I was even more surprised that it was offered on the NHS. I felt relief, but it didn't cure the pain.

Louise
4th November 2016, 13:20
Hi Guv-ner,

The NICE guidelines recommended acupuncture could be a first line treatment for low back pain.

Although, I know that pain services in hospital often treat patients with acupuncture with differing outcomes. I am not sure of the criteria for treatment.

guv-ner
8th November 2016, 12:25
I do think there is an element of mind over matter. If you believe it works, you almost will it to work.

Morris1954
12th November 2016, 22:10
Mind over matter.....isn't that what a lot of medicine relies on?

As long as it works, does it matter what the cause is?

Jade26
19th November 2016, 18:16
I found this on the Net, thought I'd share it. It explains how acupuncture works.
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TUlaffqv13c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yogi001
24th November 2016, 07:02
That is really interesting, thanks for sharing Jade26.

I never realised that is the theory behind acupuncture. I was a bit confused when he said acupuncture really hurts! Is he suggesting it hurts when it is done correctly? I have found some needles hurt, others don't.

It is an interesting concept, and one which I wish Western medicine would consider more.

Tom32
19th May 2017, 15:06
I've been under the care of my GP for low back pain, in the sacral region, I've been reluctant to use strong pain killers, so my GP sent for acupuncture at the local hospital. I have to say, I'm quite impressed, I went along hopeful, but sceptical. However, the pain has dissipated to a more manageable ache and this can only be related to the acupuncture.

I have to admit, I do feel the odd needle go in, but more often that not, I don't feel anything.

John B
23rd June 2017, 19:39
Over the hill, did you try the acupuncture for back pain? If so, how did you get on?

Esme
23rd June 2017, 19:45
I did my thesis on acupuncture for low back pain, there is a lot of evidence to suggest it is beneficial, although it is rare to find a paper that used acupuncture alone, most commonly they used it alongside other therapies, such as massage or physiology.

There was also suggestion that Sham acupuncture (superficial needling) was as effective as deep needling. Theses studies used localised trigger points, as in Western acupuncture, rather than Chinese acupunture along meridians.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the research suggests that it is beneficial for back pain.

Rainbow
24th June 2017, 20:44
How can Sham acupunction be as effective as deep needling? Wouldn't this suggest that it is not the needles at all, but rather the mind over matter theory?

Dannij
26th June 2017, 20:28
There was also suggestion that Sham acupuncture (superficial needling) was as effective as deep needling. Theses studies used localised trigger points.

Sham acupuncture is used with blunt needles, so the skin is not actually needled, just prodded, doesn't this put into question the need of acupuncture?

Esme
27th June 2017, 08:07
Sham acupuncture has found to be as effective as deep needling when giving acupuncture over trigger points. These triggers points are normally the tender, painful areas that people complain about. For example neck strain, or back pain.

Whereas when needling acupuncture points you could get a needle in your foot for back pain, in this case Sham needling in the foot has not been known to be beneficial in treating back pain.

So, to answer your question, yes, there may be an element of mind over of matter, as there is with all treatments and drugs, but the localised stimulus be it deep needling or Sham does have a beneficial effect.

Harry
27th June 2017, 12:46
I've had acupuncture in my G.P surgery, My G.P was very keen to offer this service to his patients, so undertook the course. He runs a small clinic within the surgery.

I was treated for a injury I sustained, with a pulled muscle that was not improving. A few sessions of acupuncture, I was back to normal, Occasionally I would feel a sharpness from the needle, but I wouldn't call it pain, more like a mild sting.

Alda79
11th July 2017, 14:13
I've had acupuncture in my G.P surgery, My G.P was very keen to offer this service to his patients, so undertook the course. He runs a small clinic within the surgery.

I was treated for a injury I sustained, with a pulled muscle that was not improving. A few sessions of acupuncture, I was back to normal, Occasionally I would feel a sharpness from the needle, but I wouldn't call it pain, more like a mild sting.

How do you think the acupuncture helped you, over massage or hot/cold treatments? Have the benefits been sustained?

SuzyQ
2nd September 2020, 19:29
I had this once cor treating depression and it was so powerful, I burst into tears and freaked out so they had to take the needles out!

Ursula
11th September 2020, 18:33
I had this once cor treating depression and it was so powerful, I burst into tears and freaked out so they had to take the needles out!

Why did you freak out? When you say it was powerful that it made you cry, in what way?