PDA

View Full Version : Brain fog and tiredness

Carol78
11th August 2020, 19:42
I seem to be suffering from extreme tiredness, by 7pm I’m falling asleep, and throughout the day, I feel I have brain fog, I struggle to think clearly, my concentration is off and my clarity and quickness of thought is significantly lacking.

My GP doesn’t seem too interested, any ideas, suggestions, or similar experiences? :pokehornet:

Dale42
12th August 2020, 12:44
Are you taking any meds that may be causing this experience?

You don’t say how long you have had this for, is this a new onset?

Chloe21
12th August 2020, 13:54
Can I ask your age? My mum has all these symptoms when she was going through the menopause and they are classic signs. I think your doctor can do a hormone test to see if you are going through it. Otherwise medication such as anti depressants can cause brain fog and tiredness. Hope you feel better soon :love_heart:

Chanel5
12th August 2020, 14:34
Depression can make you tired and to be fair this weather is making me lethargic!

Dahlia
13th August 2020, 09:34
Hi, is it not possible to speak to a different doctor at your GP surgery to get a blood test? Not wanting to make you worry but these symptoms can be linked to certain illnesses. I had and still have brain fog and difficulty concentrating, but found out that these symptoms are caused by a blood disorder I have been diagnosed with after a blood test (not suggesting that you may have it).

Judy202
13th August 2020, 09:47
Hi, is it not possible to speak to a different doctor at your GP surgery to get a blood test? Not wanting to make you worry but these symptoms can be linked to certain illnesses. I had and still have brain fog and difficulty concentrating, but found out that these symptoms are caused by a blood disorder I have been diagnosed with after a blood test (not suggesting that you may have it).

A little scary but I do agree with you that a second opinion is needed, brain fog, tiredness and poor vision are connected to many illnesses so definitely worth see,in further advice and don’t take no for an answer :love_heart:

Rainbow
15th August 2020, 06:50
Water, water and more water! The most common cause for these symptoms is dehydration and in the weather we are having in the UK dehydration is a very real possibility.

Most people think they are drinking enough, but in reality many people struggle to gulp down the recommended amount of 4 pints of water a day! Herbal teas can be included in this, and natural juice extracted from fruits and veg, but not tea or coffee, as these can deplete you of water, not add to your water supplies!

Louise
8th September 2020, 14:10
Candida in the blood can do this to you, diets rich in carbohydrates can be quite zapping. Obviously, as Dahlia quite rightly said, see your GP, there could be a medical underlying problem that is causing this effect in you.

Louise
8th September 2020, 14:13

I hope you are feeling better now Dahlia and that any treatment you may have been offered is working for you. :thumb

Dahlia
9th September 2020, 06:49
Thanks Louise, taking medication long term to keep blood counts under control. Still have brain fog though, i'm just more aware of what I can and can't do mentally :encouragement:

Ella
9th September 2020, 12:46
Thanks Louise, taking medication long term to keep blood counts under control. Still have brain fog though, i'm just more aware of what I can and can't do mentally :encouragement:

That sounds awful Dahlia, brain fog can be such a debilitating thing. I hope it will be something that will improve in time for you.

Kellee
9th September 2020, 14:36
Hormonal changes can make you feel like this, that’s why pregnant women become so forgetful. Hormones have a lot to answer for!

Alda79
12th September 2020, 17:52
Vitamin Q-10 is very good for boosting our energy and giving clarity to our mind, does anyone supplement with this?

over the hill
25th September 2020, 11:54

Hi Dahlia, is it possible that your brain fog is not connected to your blood problem, but something else?

over the hill
25th September 2020, 11:58
I seem to be suffering from extreme tiredness, by 7pm I’m falling asleep, and throughout the day, I feel I have brain fog, I struggle to think clearly, my concentration is off and my clarity and quickness of thought is significantly lacking.

My GP doesn’t seem too interested, any ideas, suggestions, or similar experiences? :pokehornet:

Experiences: I cut out all sugar, dairy and wheat and my brain fog went in about 4-5 days, It was the weirdest thing. It was like a cloud had lifted off my brain and even my vision seemed sharper! I would recommend anyone and everyone try this!

Have I maintained this? No :doh and honestly, I’m so angry with myself, because I know how good it made me feel, but I am struggling with the world right now and seem to turn to comfort foods to help me cope!

Teri23
25th September 2020, 14:33
Experiences: I cut out all sugar, dairy and wheat and my brain fog went in about 4-5 days, It was the weirdest thing. It was like a cloud had lifted off my brain and even my vision seemed sharper! I would recommend anyone and everyone try this!

Have I maintained this? No :doh and honestly, I’m so angry with myself, because I know how good it made me feel, but I am struggling with the world right now and seem to turn to comfort foods to help me cope!

I’ve heard this a lot, people cutting out processed food, especially grain and feeling they have a clearer head as a result. There is a book about it called the grain brain, I think.

This is the updated version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Brains-Killers-dp-1473695589/dp/1473695589/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Louise
26th September 2020, 07:12
I’ve just finished reading a very interesting book about the heart and in it the author suggests that we should fast for 12 hours a day. Doing this would bring clarity to our minds and reduce the brain fog so many of us feel.
This brain fog is said to be associated with the increased insulin that floats around our system. Constant eating without long periods of fasting causes a constant trickle of insulin to circulate and this results in chronic inflammation.

Recommended ways to fast would be to have your last meal at 6pm and not eat until 9am the following day, not really a hardship. Of course this timing can be altered to suit your lifestyle.

Louise
26th September 2020, 07:13
I’ve heard this a lot, people cutting out processed food, especially grain and feeling they have a clearer head as a result. There is a book about it called the grain brain, I think.

This is the updated version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Brains-Killers-dp-1473695589/dp/1473695589/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

I have seen this book, it seems to pop up on my Amazon recommended list, but I have yet to read it. Let me know if anyone has and their thoughts on it.

Lidia
27th September 2020, 17:24

This does seem a little off, and unfortunately, it may not be an answer or a cure, but something to read about. I am reading a book called the invisible rainbow and it lists many symptoms such as yours, it may give you an explanation.

Carol78
27th September 2020, 17:32
So, a bit of an update, I read what people put, and worked on putting some things in place, reducing my sugar intake, drink more water etc, but I don’t really seem to benefit as quickly as I wanted or to the degree that I wanted. I spoken to a different doctor, no chance visiting them due to Covid. In the meantime, I have reduced the time frame that I eat and reduced my grain. I have to admit these changes require far more preparation and advanced planning.

I am feeling a slight improvement, it’s early days and I’m inpatient, I want instant changes, with little effort, if I’m honest. :sly:

Carol78
27th September 2020, 17:35

I took on board what you said and telephoned the surgery, I got a call back from a different Dr and she agreed to check my bloods, given that I didn’t feel much improvement from the changes I had made, albeit brief changes. My bloods came back as clear, which obviously is a relief, but in someways frustrating. But thank you for giving me that push to go back and seek an alternative view. :unconscious:

Melanie
27th September 2020, 18:44
For a while now I have been getting on much better and not had my afternoon naps at the weekend but today I just feel a complete brain fog has descended on me and took to my bed exhausted!

Dani
8th February 2022, 11:02

Brain fog seems to be more and more common lately with so many people reporting it for various reasons. Did you find a way to get on top of this debilitating condition?

Paul
8th February 2022, 11:12
I seem to be getting bouts of this some mornings but it is difficult trying to work out what sets it off.

I am planning on taking myself off into very remote part of Wales for a week or so. I have a great wild camp location where there is no interference from anything, no phone signal, no electricity, nothing but solitude. The problem is this time of the year the weather can be somewhat unkind so come the Spring I am off there.

Dani
8th February 2022, 11:51
I seem to be getting bouts of this some mornings but it is difficult trying to work out what sets it off.

I am planning on taking myself off into very remote part of Wales for a week or so. I have a great wild camp location where there is no interference from anything, no phone signal, no electricity, nothing but solitude. The problem is this time of the year the weather can be somewhat unkind so come the Spring I am off there.

Is that a test to see the underlying cause or just the need to get away?

Do you think your symptoms are environmental in nature?