PDA

View Full Version : The Bowen technique

Heather
24th July 2020, 14:12
The Bowen technique is a therapy that uses thumbs and forefingers on precise points on the body which gently stimulate the muscles, soft tissues and energy within the body. Such moves do not require manipulation or adjustment of hard tissue, and it is not a form of massive, but it does work in conjunction with the body allowing it to re-balance.

The therapy was pioneered by Thomas Ambrose Bowen, who developed a full time practice treating common problems such as back and neck pain, knee problems, sports injuries etc.

Heather
24th July 2020, 14:15
This short video may help

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F0SJ_AX5Mto" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joolz
24th July 2020, 17:00
Hi Heather have you had this therapy yourself? If so were there any side effects and would you recommend it?

Chanel5
25th July 2020, 15:19
A friend of mine had this therapy and it was amazing for her.

AletheaRiggs
27th July 2020, 05:03
I recently tried this therapy just before lockdown, so sadly never got the chance for further follow-ups, but at first I couldn’t quite understand how something so gentle can do anything, and I was shocked to see the therapist keep leaving the room for a few minutes after each manipulation. But I now understand that it is part of the process.

Anyway, I had a massive healing response the week after which wobbled me a bit, it doesn’t seem to be much at the time of the therapy, but this is powerful stuff!

Rene82
27th July 2020, 19:25
Anyway, I had a massive healing response the week after which wobbled me a bit, it doesn’t seem to be much at the time of the therapy, but this is powerful stuff!

Would you go back again, considering the first session wobbled you and you had a healing crisis?

J-jay
31st July 2020, 18:23
I was recommended Bowen therapy, I’d never heard of it, and in all honesty, thought it was a sham therapy, but I was really impressed. I only needed three sessions, about a week apart, but it did the job!

AletheaRiggs
1st August 2020, 11:41
Would you go back again, considering the first session wobbled you and you had a healing crisis?

Yes, absolutely, even more so, because of the affect it had on me, It confirms my belief that it had an effect.

Jackie361
3rd August 2020, 13:02
Very interesting, I am not convinced this would work but it obviously does. What sort of price do people charge and how many sessions before I would see any benefits?

Bumblebee
4th August 2020, 13:32
I seem to be suffering from neck pain on a daily basis and I’m not sure if it is stress or my pillows not being supportive enough. Would this be a good treatment for me?

Heather
4th August 2020, 19:50
I seem to be suffering from neck pain on a daily basis and I’m not sure if it is stress or my pillows not being supportive enough. Would this be a good treatment for me?

Absolutely, it is very gentle and is a whole body approach, it doesn’t work against the body, so only corrects what is needed.

Heather
4th August 2020, 19:53
Bear Grylls is a huge advocate of Bowen therapy, I liked it when he said that Bowen had made sure old injuries didn’t cause him problems. Which is an important aspect of any of these therapies, they are designed to allow the energy to flow freely and not accumulate in injured areas.

It is perfectly acceptable to have Bowen therapy as a maintenance treatment, a bit like going to your dentist for a check-up, but nicer!

Teal
6th August 2020, 06:21
I was recommended Bowen therapy, I’d never heard of it, and in all honesty, thought it was a sham therapy, but I was really impressed. I only needed three sessions, about a week apart, but it did the job!

Is it painful?

Staci
7th August 2020, 06:11

I think neck pain is becoming one of the most common conditions due to computer based working, mobile phones and tablets.

May26
8th August 2020, 09:21
Do you think it’s the power of the mind more than the treatment? A placebo effect, you believe on it so you feel the benefits?

Louise
9th August 2020, 06:48
Do you think it’s the power of the mind more than the treatment? A placebo effect, you believe on it so you feel the benefits?

I don’t believe it is, when I had my treatment I was so shocked by how little seem to be happening, I remember lying on the table thinking, well this is a waste of time, and then the following day... Wham! I was hit badly by a healing crises, so this would suggest that it is not a state of mind!

Freespirit
14th August 2020, 11:42
Having watched the video I can’t imagine this therapy has any effect but it seems to have a great following so there must be something in it.

Jake
14th August 2020, 17:14
Having watched the video I can’t imagine this therapy has any effect but it seems to have a great following so there must be something in it.

I had a cricked neck recently and it would not improve, so I decided to see a Bowen therapist, and it was eased almost immediately and over the coming days it got easier. I only needed to visit once.

SuzyQ
1st September 2020, 09:28
Wow I have never heard of this technique and it looks very gentle but obviously powerful