PDA

View Full Version : Bees

Sandra
21st July 2020, 14:18

Bee populations along with other pollinators have witnessed a steady decline over the past decade, with the blame being pointed at various causes including insecticides, climate change and disease.

The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) has suggested that an estimated 24% of Europe’s bumbles bees are threatened with extinction. This is an environmental disaster in the waiting, especially when you appreciate that bees contribute about 90% of pollination of the worlds crops, and without this natural pollination the world risks food insecurity.

In the Uk 13 species of Bee has been lost since 1900, and a further 35 are considered under threat of extinction. In Europe 1 in 10 wild bee species faces extinction.

More research needs to be undertaken to fully understand the causes of such extinction or decline, but what is known is that changes in land use, habitat loss, pesticide use, diseases, pollution, farming practices, climate change and invasive non-native species all play a role in the loss of the Bees.

One out of every three mouthfuls of our food depends on pollinators and crops that depend on pollination are considered to be five times more valuable than those that do not.

It needs to be understood that the drop in numbers is a threat to our natural habitat, food and environment as a whole. The drop in Bees can certainly be recognised as a litmus paper to the plight of the natural world as a whole.

What can you do to improve this situation?

Buy local or British honey,

Plant a bee friendly garden, or windows box with nectar rich flowers,

Use natural insecticides in your garden, encourage more wildlife that feed off the insects.

Tom32
21st July 2020, 15:24
My wife and I wanted to find a way to promote the bees around our home, so we bought one of these and put it on the side of the garage, it took a little while for the bees to show an interest, but they did.

I feel a little smug that we are trying to make a little difference in our own way, it makes you feel good giving back to nature, rather than taking from it all of the time.

Fran90
21st July 2020, 17:59
If you put bee accommodation up, doesn’t it attract more bees around your house, to come in through your window?

Tom32
23rd July 2020, 05:39
If you put bee accommodation up, doesn’t it attract more bees around your house, to come in through your window?

It has never been a problem for me, Bees tend to be too busy to be wondering into the house, they just go from flower to flower.

Mummy2Two
23rd July 2020, 06:11
I can walk through my lavender which is covered in bees and they never bother me. It’s wasps I don’t like!

I have a garden full of lavender and this seems a popular choice with the bees in our area. Although I would still like to do more in attracting them to our garden.

Louise
23rd July 2020, 17:51
I have my bee and bug house up, apparently it’s very good for solitary bees. The height needs to be between ground level and 1.5 metres high. I’ve put mine at 1.5 mitres as I have cats.

Chloe21
24th July 2020, 17:14
I was always led to believe that bees make honey and yes of course they do but when I thought I was taught about bees in school it was the fluffy fat bumble bee that I was always shown. To my amazement I was shown the bees that make the honey are the ones that look very much like wasps so I think in my ignorance I have killed many honey bees in the belief that they were pesky wasps about to sting me!!!!

Antonio94
27th July 2020, 14:37
I was always led to believe that bees make honey and yes of course they do but when I thought I was taught about bees in school it was the fluffy fat bumble bee that I was always shown. To my amazement I was shown the bees that make the honey are the ones that look very much like wasps so I think in my ignorance I have killed many honey bees in the belief that they were pesky wasps about to sting me!!!!

:ykies oh no! Sadly, I don’t think you are alone, many people associate the bumble bee as being the only type of bee, when actually there are 270 species of Bee in the UK.

Antonio94
27th July 2020, 14:39
Not sure if this image will come out, I can see your confusion!

Westielover
27th July 2020, 19:14
Antonio94 they definitely look like wasps so sadly I have been killing bees without knowing!

Elvera
28th July 2020, 13:59
Bees won’t bother you, but wasps have a tendency to annoy!

Elvera
28th July 2020, 14:01
With a growing population and a greater demand on food, I don’t see that protecting or saving the bees will get any better.

Let’s say the bees did become extinct, what then? What is the worse that can happen?

Chanel5
12th August 2020, 14:47
With a growing population and a greater demand on food, I don’t see that protecting or saving the bees will get any better.

Let’s say the bees did become extinct, what then? What is the worse that can happen?

If bees become extinct it has been said that the human race will not survive. It is very serious that we protect the bees.

Elvera
12th August 2020, 14:51
If bees become extinct it has been said that the human race will not survive. It is very serious that we protect the bees.

I know, can you imagine that! And the thing is, they don’t actually;;y have to become extinct, there just has to enough of them to not make an impact :ykies.

We are in an environmental emergency, and we all seem so blind to the consequences of it!

Joolz
15th August 2020, 16:19
If you eat local honey it can help decrease hay fever symptoms significantly :comfort: