PDA

View Full Version : Bread alternatives

Janice
19th July 2020, 05:31
I love a good sandwich, but the bread does not suit me and I really do want to cut processed grain out of my diet. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives?

Louise
20th July 2020, 15:24
Bread....BREAD! It’s my biggest down full, I do love it, but it does not have the same affinity to me!

I have chosen not to find an alternative, instead I stay away from it. But I understand that does mean a huge impact on the classic picnic, or work lunch. I have read a lot about a healthy bread called Ezekiel bread, for a long time it was not available in the UK, but it is becoming more popular. It is made from sprouted grain, making it a far healthier option with health benefits. Having never tried it, I can not comment on its taste.

Pansy
21st July 2020, 12:52
Isn't Ezekiel bread still grain though?

Nancy
24th July 2020, 09:02
The grain is sprouted, so it takes on a whole different Set of Health benefits.

Joolz
25th July 2020, 16:10
I have found that seeded brown bread makes me blow up like a balloon, I thought white bread was the worst?

J-jay
31st July 2020, 18:53
I have found that seeded brown bread makes me blow up like a balloon, I thought white bread was the worst?

White bread is like eating sugar, it has absolutely no nutritional value at all. Don’t eat it!

Bumblebee
1st August 2020, 16:26
Isn't Ezekiel bread still grain though?

What on earth is Ezekiel bread?

Rene82
1st August 2020, 16:59
What on earth is Ezekiel bread?

It’s bread that is made from sprouted grain, which means that it is healthier than normal whole grain bread, because the sprouting process makes the nutrients more bio-available. Meaning we absorb the nutrients, rather than the just pass through out gut as roughage.

Also sprouted grain contains more fibre than non-sprouted grain.

Noella
3rd August 2020, 21:07
I’ve tried to find it in this country, it is really hard to find, I’d love to try some. I wonder if it is easier on the digestive system, with being sprouted.

Elvera
12th August 2020, 12:50
Surely Ezekiel bread is not a bread alternative, which is what the OP asked for!

Freespirit
12th August 2020, 14:04
Surely Ezekiel bread is not a bread alternative, which is what the OP asked for!

At least she was trying to be helpful, unlike your comment!

Chloe21
15th August 2020, 16:05
Cloud bread

Cloud bread, or oopsie bread, is very popular with low-carb and keto dieters. Cloud bread is a protein-rich alternative to regular bread and makes an excellent sandwich base or English muffin replacement.

There are various recipes for cloud bread, but a simple version is as follows.

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
3 ounces (oz) cream cheese
one-eighth of a teaspoon (tsp) sea salt
Recipe:

Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
Separate the egg whites from the yolks.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff, foamy mounds.
In a second bowl, mix the egg yolks, cream cheese, and salt.
Fold the egg whites into the second bowl, being careful not to knock the air out of them.
Scoop the mixture into bun-sized dollops on the baking sheet and bake for approximately 30 minutes until golden.
Cloud bread is a versatile, simple alternative to bread that many people on low-carb diets eat every day.

Tastes delicious :jb:

Chanel5
23rd August 2020, 15:39
Rye bread or corn tortillas are a good alternative to bread

Ella
6th September 2020, 18:55
Have you seen this super seed bread from Deliciously Ella, I haven’t tried it myself, but came across it when looking for a soup recipe.

https://deliciouslyella.com/recipes/super-seed-loaf/

Sarah
10th September 2020, 06:12
Rye bread or corn tortillas are a good alternative to bread

These are acceptable alternatives, but I would urge you to read the packaging just in case, corn is a product that is heavily sprayed sugars are often added to make it palatable, like corn syrup.