PDA

View Full Version : Re-using your waste

Louise
18th July 2020, 10:40
I hate throwing packaging away and more beautiful, the harder it is to discard. I was thrilled to get some little bags with my sample sizes from honeybee beautiful https://www.honeybeebeautiful.co.uk/collections/sample-kits?page=2
So I decided to cut my lavender and bring it into the house via these little bags, which now hang amongst my clothes in my Bedroom.
packaging should always be reusable and then there would be less waste in the environment.

Pansy
18th July 2020, 14:45

Not my idea, but a brilliant one all the same!

Dylis
18th July 2020, 17:44
I’ve used green 2L pop bottles, cut the neck and bottom off, so they are a tube, then cut lengthways. I then put these over a try of seeds to protect the seedlings from direct sunlight.

Dylis
18th July 2020, 17:45
Those little bags are handy for putting jewellery in and putting a ribbon on as a gift instead of wrapping paper :thumb

Rebecca
19th July 2020, 06:14

Love this idea, a fun way to use old tyres. I’m not sure if it’s a garden bin (judging by the rake), or if it a general waste bin, but either way a cheerful way to brighten up a garden. :banana:

Eve
19th July 2020, 07:59

An up-cycled Lotion bottle is great for storing your phone while it charges and a godsend in a child’s room, to prevent cables trailing on the floor! They’re not cheap to replace and add to the mountain of waste when disposed of.

Hippee
21st July 2020, 08:49
There are some great ideas. I uses toilet rolls inner tubes to get my seeds growing.

Cut them in half, fill with some compost, pop the seed on and water, the roll hold the water surprisingly well. Then once the seed starts to grow I transfer it either into the ground or to a bigger container.

Fran90
21st July 2020, 18:01
I use egg boxes for my seedlings, the carton holds a little moisture helping the soil not to dry out so fast.

Ben17
23rd July 2020, 19:18
I make wax melts and use recyclable card, I really don’t agree with excessive amounts of plastics. There are more shops opening with refillable containers instead of single use which is good news.

Grace
24th July 2020, 17:02
I make wax melts and use recyclable card, I really don’t agree with excessive amounts of plastic.

Why is card not used more? I understand there is a place for some plastic, certainly for containers that hold fluid, but card could be used so much more.

Freespirit
29th July 2020, 18:34
I make wax melts and use recyclable card, I really don’t agree with excessive amounts of plastics. There are more shops opening with refillable containers instead of single use which is good news.

We had one of these shops open up in our small town but sadly there was just not enough demand so it closed down within months. How sad that there is not enough people willing to make a change for the good of the environment

Judy202
10th August 2020, 15:22
Why is card not used more? I understand there is a place for some plastic, certainly for containers that hold fluid, but card could be used so much more.

I think card isn’t used as it doesn’t travel well, when you have a product in cardboard it is more fragile in transit and because of the tonnes of plastic we are now manufacturing it is actually cheaper to use plastic.

Alice
31st August 2020, 11:23
I’ve seen CD’s being used when planting seedlings

Kellee
9th September 2020, 14:31
I think should be classes in school where they look at ingenious ways or re-using unwanted items. A way to encourage kids to look at their stuff differently, and maybe these same kids will be our scientists in the future. I wonder if schools do visits to recycling centres?

Louise
15th September 2020, 20:45
These are all great, but our waste comes in so many forms, remember old clothes are waste products. Can they be cut up and used for any other purpose? Or made into something else? Even the padding for a cat basket.

Clothes are environmentally costly, where we can re-fashion then in some way, we should try.

Esme
25th September 2020, 12:32
I was at work the other day and was pleased to see staff reusing wrapping, boxes, and bubble wrap for other uses, lessoning the need to buy more. I think it would be good to see local communities having sites when used packaging can be offered free to people in the local area.

For example I could offer my amazon box and internal packaging to people in my area for free, this reduces the need for more to be produced. Worth a thought!