PDA

View Full Version : Obesity

Pippa
12th July 2020, 05:17
Boris wants to tackle the UK obesity problem by stopping 2for 1 and special deals on high fat and sugar foods :doh

Louise
12th July 2020, 10:22
There seems to be a lack of understanding as to the cause of obesity by the government, as always!

Caree
12th July 2020, 13:49
I don’t think the country has got fat from buying 2 for 1!!!! And when will they move on from the old adage of low fat, low sugar??? Surely the 80’s, 90’s and 20’s experiment has shown that all that happened was we got fatter!

cherry
13th July 2020, 07:58
I agree with Caree, the population has been eating low fat, sugar free foods for decades now and we are fatter than ever! I’m not talking about the morbidly obese person that clearly has a complete other set of issues, I’m talking about the general population that are simply chunky, maybe carrying 2-4 stone more than their ‘ideal’. These are the people that have spent decades trying to do right, but end up fatter and sicker.

Until there is honest understanding about the food we eat, it doesn’t matter what changes you make to policy, it won’t change the waist lines of the nation.

Gymbunny
13th July 2020, 20:32
I think it’s all the chemical in our food that is disrupting our hormones, it’s not about quantity, it’s quality every time!

Teri23
14th July 2020, 07:27
There is too much money involved in the food, dairy and sugar industries to ever really be honest about the impact of these foods on our health. Overweight has become the new norm, anyone of normal weight is deemed as ‘skinny’ in todays times. The health burden in the future will be astronomical, we will see rising numbers of cancers and all other chronic health conditions.

We need to have a new perspective on being overweight and that it, it’s not just about the additional ft you carry around, but the additional toxins and the effect that has on your long term health.

Dylis
15th July 2020, 19:44
There is such a lack of understanding of what food does, I get laughed at if I mention the benefits of foods!

Rebecca
16th July 2020, 05:15
The government does not do enough to promote fruit and veg, maybe a subsidy of organic food would help. If the government was so interested in getting our nation healthy then it would find ways to fund the healthy, nutritious food and make it more affordable and the easy choice for all households.

Yogi001
16th July 2020, 05:38
I see that being obese with a BMI over 30 puts you at a greater risk of getting Covid-19. Does this suggest that obesity reduces your immune system?

Anna45
17th July 2020, 16:54
It’s quite shocking when you really look around and watch how many people are becoming obese, the long term risks to their health are huge. Why do people not care enough about themselves to want to change and slim down? Is food really that important in their lives?

Bumblebee
24th July 2020, 17:26
I found this article really interesting to read (please click on link below) and shows that obesity is linked to high amounts of sugar but the sugar is the same as a drug and you become addicted to it. I was always drinking a certain brand of Cola and I became addicted to it literally shaking if I didn’t have it, I also put on a considerable amount of weight which I now struggle to get rid of. More social media and games consoles means less exercise so it’s not just a case of bad eating habits.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-similarities-between-junk-foods-and-drugs

Chanel5
25th July 2020, 15:22
It’s quite shocking when you really look around and watch how many people are becoming obese, the long term risks to their health are huge. Why do people not care enough about themselves to want to change and slim down? Is food really that important in their lives?
I think to some people food is everything to them and can be an emotional crutch when they are feeling depressed they eat more then they put on weight and they feel more depressed and eat more and so it goes on.....

AletheaRiggs
27th July 2020, 04:55
It’s good to see the government is trying to acknowledge the growing problem of obesity, and talk of banning 2for 1 deals and sweets and chocolate by checkouts, but I thought this was meant to be banned a few years ago!

I think moving the temptation away from checkouts is good. But I don’t think these things really deal with the true cause of obesity.

Antonio94
27th July 2020, 14:45
I think it highlights the problem, but it doesn’t real solve it in any real way.

Sandra
28th July 2020, 15:03
Why does the media insist on showing phots of morbidly obese people, when sadly obese doesn’t look that fat now. Maybe if they showed pictures of obese people on the lower end, the story would relate and resonate with more people.

Bumblebee
31st July 2020, 16:58
Boris wants to tackle the UK obesity problem by stopping 2for 1 and special deals on high fat and sugar foods :doh

Stopping 2 for 1 isn’t going to tackle obesity, does he think that deal means that overweight people buy 2 for 1 and eat both pizzas? I think that deal is targeted at low income families who can actually afford to have a treat by using the deal!

J-jay
31st July 2020, 18:52
Being overweight has become the accepted size, there’s needs to be more education as to the implications of carrying weight in terms of cancer and chronic diseases.

Although I have to say, I have seen more people exercising, walking and cycling during the lock down than at any other time. So maybe people will carry on this new health kick.

Pippa
31st July 2020, 19:33
Rather than taxing goods, why don’t they reduce the healthy ones and tax the bad ones? Make fruit and veg cheaper!

Freespirit
5th August 2020, 14:20
Get your kids off the game consoles and outside and that will help cut obesity

Megan
6th August 2020, 07:53
I saw this on my FB thread yesterday, how true! :doh

Mary03
7th August 2020, 11:17
2 for 1 deals won’t stop obesity they will just stop families on a low income having a treat they can afford. It annoys me that we have to stop everything just so that the people who eat to excess cannot get food cheap :confusion::confusion::confusion: