PDA

View Full Version : Tonsillectomy

Rainbow
7th November 2018, 19:43
I recently read that tonsillectomy’s are still occurring needlessly. Now this was common practice many years ago, in fact it seems the slight whiff of a sore throat and you got the chop.

So I was surprised to see the practice still going on, with the view that it was still a ‘needless’ intervention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46095462

This is a link to the article.

Teal
8th November 2018, 08:54
I find this article utterly shocking, and it begs the question whether the surgeons/Doctors making these decisions should be struck off for undertaking ‘needless’ operations!

7 out of 8 tonsillectomy’s would not provide any benefit to the patient! And 32,500 of the 37,000 operations were unnecessary :ykies

Doesn’t this sum up the typical Western approach to all things health?

Harry
8th November 2018, 14:30
I thought Tonsils were part of the immune system, aren’t they supposed to give you a sore throat when they are trying to protect you? :ne_nau:

By removing them surely you are making the person prone to further complications!

Louise
10th November 2018, 06:47
You’re absolutely right Harry, the tonsils form part of our immune system and are designed to swell and get painful when the are ‘doing their job’.

When people are constantly prone to throat infections, it may be worth looking at other factors in their lives, body etc. Surely, it is like taking the smoke alarm batteries out when the alarm goes off, just because it’s quiet, doesn’t mean you’ve solved the problem :doh

Joolz
20th July 2020, 20:26
I suffered from severe sore throats frequently as a child and I had them taken out and never looked back. It was the best thing that could have happened as I very rarely have a sore throat now so definitely not needless in my opinion.

Ely
21st July 2020, 08:30
I thought your tonsils were meant to protect you from infection, they swell like your lymph nodes do when you are exposed to infection. Surely removing them is counter intuitive :ne_nau:

Christiane
23rd July 2020, 10:32
So if tonsils have a use, why do they remove them?

Joolz
23rd July 2020, 18:57
So if tonsils have a use, why do they remove them?
I’m not sure they do have a use because I had constant sore throats so they provided no protection at all. Since having them out I have been free of sore throats ever since.

cherry
24th July 2020, 08:41
Tonsils are part of your immune system, they swell like your glands do. This was misunderstood many years ago, but now they understand a lot more, tonsils are not removed unless absolutely necessary.

Chanel5
24th July 2020, 15:10
I have heard this is now the case too. Years ago they were always taking out kids tonsils and adanoids!

Alison66
24th July 2020, 15:41
I have heard this is now the case too. Years ago they were always taking out kids tonsils and adanoids!

I think it was the most common surgical procedure for children in the 1970’s :doh