PDA

View Full Version : Grey hair

Teal
8th May 2018, 07:02
Why do some people have grey hair very young, and others don’t seem to get it until well into old age.

The Asian community seem to go for a long time without greying hair.

Rene82
3rd September 2018, 21:21
i think it is diet related. The Chinese population do not seem to go as grey as quickly when compared to Westerners.

Louise
3rd July 2020, 18:10
I read somewhere it is due to vitamin and mineral deficiency. If I can find some info, I will be sure to post it.

Sian
4th July 2020, 06:32
That would certainly make sense when you consider the quality of the Western diet compared to diets of others around the world.

Daisy
4th July 2020, 11:55
Grey hair is trendy, embrace it :jb:

Louise
19th July 2020, 06:05
Grey hair is trendy, embrace it :jb:

I’ve recently given in to the grey hair and decided to stop fighting nature, honestly I feel so much better for it. I hate colouring my hair adding all those toxic chemicals, and now my hair is back to a lovely natural condition. I say Embrace it, and welcome the freedom!

Westielover
22nd July 2020, 17:57
Sorry everyone but I disagree I couldn’t go grey, it would make me feel so old, I’m obviously way too vain :banana:

Dahlia
23rd July 2020, 12:07
My ethnicity is South Asian, most of my family noticed grey hairs in our 30's, my eldest sister from her 20's. I apply henna to cover my grey roots every 2-3 months

Rainbow
23rd July 2020, 17:28
My ethnicity is South Asian, most of my family noticed grey hairs in our 30's, my eldest sister from her 20's. I apply henna to cover my grey roots every 2-3 months

Does the henna keep it at bay? I use a normal hair dye and seem to be dying mine regularly to keep the greys hidden, but the constant dying is damaging the overall condition of my hair. I’ve never considered henna.

Freespirit
23rd July 2020, 19:26
Does the henna keep it at bay? I use a normal hair dye and seem to be dying mine regularly to keep the greys hidden, but the constant dying is damaging the overall condition of my hair. I’ve never considered henna.

If you use henna on your hair it is permanent and will remain in your hair until it grows out so it’s great if regular hair dyes wash out and become less intense after washing it. There is a downside to using henna. It is very difficult to colour over if you want to change your hair colour and it doesn’t matter if you use henna or any permanent colour you will still get regrowth at the roots when your hair grows.

Dahlia
24th July 2020, 07:54

Yes it does for 2-3 months. My hair is dark brown so the henna gives my hair an auburn colour, it's very nourishing for the hair and makes it so shiny. I use a pure henna powder from an online retailer called Suvarna, it's of high quality and refined so washes out really easily. I would recommend you use a dark coloured towel for a few washes after dying with henna.

Staci
24th July 2020, 14:00
So now we know the secret to why Asian women have the most beautiful, shined hair!

Alison66
24th July 2020, 15:40
I thought people can react from Henna, is it worth doing a patch test first? I’ve seen it when people have Henna tattoos and it has caused a reaction.

Cassandra
1st August 2020, 20:13
Why do some people have grey hair very young, and others don’t seem to get it until well into old age.

The Asian community seem to go for a long time without greying hair.

The Asian community traditionally have far better quality foods than we eat here in the UK, they have a far higher use of herbs and spices, nutrient dense foods and possibly have a better quality of life, and I’m not talking financially. You can be very poor, but whole and happy. You can be rich, but poor spiritually and mentally.

There is so much we can learn if we look to Asia, sadly we have an arrogant mindset that we know best, which is embarrassing to say the least!
Anyway, I digress, My point is, Westerners have a poor diet and poor health, mentally, physically and spiritually and I think this all contributes to early greying and ageing.

Westielover
3rd August 2020, 13:23
It’s going to be dying my roots for many years to come for me I think. I just look so old with grey hair and I am way to vain to go au-naturel

Ben17
9th August 2020, 16:55
I have noticed women are letting their grey hair show now instead of dying it which I think looks great. As a guy ai would never dye my greys as men with dyed hair just looks grim!

Dani
9th August 2020, 19:20
I have noticed women are letting their grey hair show now instead of dying it which I think looks great. As a guy ai would never dye my greys as men with dyed hair just looks grim!

Men are expected to go grey, it a given. In fact they are laughed at, if they start to dye it! I think our natural hair should be encouraged, I’m all for dyeing your hair if it is what you want to do, but if it is because you think society expects that of you, then that’s sad!

I think men get the easier ride when it comes to ageing!

Francis
17th August 2020, 19:22
I think men get the easier ride when it comes to ageing!

Years ago yes, but there is big money in making men feel inadequate and getting them to start using moisturiser and hair dye

May26
18th August 2020, 10:17
I have just dyed my roots again and I have to say it took 10 minutes and no bother at all. I have noticed so many more people are embracing their grey hair but for me it’s still a no. I look washed out with lighter hair and I feel older. :apathy:

Rach89
23rd September 2020, 18:46
I do love grey hair but a parent came to pick her child up from primary school the other day and her friend said, “Look your granny’s here” the little girl was really upset and her mum wasn’t impressed either!

Daisy82
5th February 2022, 12:36
I read today that early greying hair is a sign of a lack of copper in the diet. so it could be worth increasing your minerals through supplementation.