PDA

View Full Version : Protein / health bar

Jake
17th June 2017, 18:42
My war of keeping fit is through cross-fit, this involves weight lifting and circuits, it is all about strength. I like to eat a protein/health bar as a snack.

I found that a lot of the 'health bars' available contain a lot of sugar. Can anyone recommend healthier versions?

cherry
21st June 2017, 21:18
A lot of the shop bought, so called 'health bars' are packed with sugar. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Louise
21st June 2017, 21:28
63 Hi Jake, why don't you consider making your own? You could Taylor the ingredients to your own nutritional requirements and taste. This way you know exactly what is in them, ensuring they are the healthiest bars around.

This picture is from 'Plant Bites'. Based in Shropshire.

Harry
27th June 2017, 12:38
Personally I like the Nakd range, because the ingredients in them are simple, natural and they do not contain anything other than natural products. They are small and are suitable for ending that sweet craving moment. I don't think they are suitable as a meal replacement.

Trek are also made by the same company, they are not made as simply as their counterpart, but they do contain 10g protein.

These two are probably some of the best, most natural products on the market in terms of health bars.

AletheaRiggs
27th June 2017, 19:35
https://foodbabe.com/app/uploads/2015/04/Healthy-Energy-Bars-2-21.jpg

Try this recipe, the cacao is optional, or you can swap with another powder of your choice.

Serves: 6-8
Ingredients
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds
• ¼ cup hemp seeds
• ¼ cup sunflower seeds
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
• ¼ cup rolled oats
• 2 tablespoons goji berries
• 9 Medjool dates
• 2 tablespoons coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons cacao powder

Instructions
1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and begin to chop slowly. Increase the speed as you begin to notice the ingredients mixing together.
2. Once the ingredients are mixed together, remove from the food processor, and place into an 8x8 dish which is lined with grease proof paper. Make sure to press down with your spoon or spatula to create a large, compact square.
3. Place in the refrigerator for roughly 1-3 hours before cutting into squares. Enjoy

ClaudetteBenner
27th June 2017, 20:44
I understood that these bars are full of sugar and should be avoided at all costs. Why would you need to eat one?

Deena
10th July 2017, 20:10
I understood that these bars are full of sugar and should be avoided at all costs. Why would you need to eat one?

Some people eat them as a snack on the go, as a replacement meal, or to get hem through until the next meal. I think if you choose wisely, or better yet make your own, they are a good option for a snack.

Sian
15th July 2017, 14:02

I think the problem is that anything with dried fruit in is classed as being packed with sugar, which in lots of ways it is, the the sugar is a concentrated form of fruit sugar and not a refined sugar. I don't think they should be eaten freely, but as part of a daily meal plan they can be beneficial, if they are packed with nuts and seeds then all the better.

Staci
6th August 2017, 16:50
Have you tried Naked bars? https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/uploads/images/medium/1255.jpg

Naked are offering you 9 of their bars for £6.00 if you use the code 'Nature', its a great saving and gives the opportunity to try lots of different flavours for a fraction of the normal cost.

Here is a link, the price alters at the checkout https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/mixed-boxes/nakd-find-your-fave-box/?utm_source=MediaMath&utm_content=300x250&utm_campaign=NakdAlwaysOn&utm_medium=display

brittany
11th August 2017, 16:17
There is a huge range of 'health bars' in the stores now, many of which do not represent health in any way. In fact, I know this is going off the subject a bit, but I find it disturbing that manufacturers are jumping on the health food bandwagon, which is actually doing harm to the true message of healthy eating and ultimately replacing a sinister looking toxin for an angelic looking toxin. A practice I find quite underhand.

Dale42
21st August 2017, 07:52
There is a huge range of 'health bars' in the stores now, many of which do not represent health in any way. In fact, I know this is going off the subject a bit, but I find it disturbing that manufacturers are jumping on the health food bandwagon, which is actually doing harm to the true message of healthy eating and ultimately replacing a sinister looking toxin for an angelic looking toxin. A practice I find quite underhand.

What did you expect? We live in a commercial society, where everyone is out to make money. Business people will go where the money is and people are too thick and lazy to realise what they are buying. People want instant everything, instant food and instant health.

guv-ner
24th November 2017, 19:49
A lot of the shop bought, so called 'health bars' are packed with sugar. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Trek bars are 'shop bought' and are completely natural ( http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/trek-peanut-power-60020458 ), they contain protein and a good snack to have on the run. Or in your glove box for emergencies.

Lloyd
13th December 2017, 17:25
What actually is a health bar? Is it a meal replacement, a snack, a post work-out protein bar? I think that a a snack they seem quite high in calories, sugars and fats. But they wouldn’t satisfy me for a meal replacement.

Can anyone shed any light on these health bars?

Bumblebee
31st July 2020, 16:49
I heard that the shop bought health bars are actually full of sugar and salt so the only way to eat a healthy bar is to make it yourself. I love the recipes on here

guv-ner
1st August 2020, 19:41
What actually is a health bar? Is it a meal replacement, a snack, a post work-out protein bar? I think that a a snack they seem quite high in calories, sugars and fats. But they wouldn’t satisfy me for a meal replacement.

Can anyone shed any light on these health bars?

I think they are meant to sustain you with healthy, nutrition until you can eat a proper meal, so, I guess a sort of snack. But all too often the shop bought ones are filled with refined sugars, syrups and are nutrient poor.

guv-ner
1st August 2020, 19:42
I heard that the shop bought health bars are actually full of sugar and salt so the only way to eat a healthy bar is to make it yourself. I love the recipes on here

I think when it comes to food, making your own, is always the better option, at least you know what’s in it!

Westielover
7th August 2020, 16:26
Have you tried My Vegan carb crusher health bars? They are available in 4 flavours they are really tasty

Jackie361
15th August 2020, 13:03
Have you tried Naked bars? https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/uploads/images/medium/1255.jpg

Naked are offering you 9 of their bars for £6.00 if you use the code 'Nature', its a great saving and gives the opportunity to try lots of different flavours for a fraction of the normal cost.

Here is a link, the price alters at the checkout https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/mixed-boxes/nakd-find-your-fave-box/?utm_source=MediaMath&utm_content=300x250&utm_campaign=NakdAlwaysOn&utm_medium=display

These are some of the rare healthy bars that live up to the claim as others are full of sugar and salt