PDA

View Full Version : Irritable bowel

sophie
25th November 2016, 19:50
Please can anyone offer some sound dietary advice on my mothers irritable bowel?

It has plagued her for years and seems to cause her no end of suffering, from bloating to cramping, loose stools to constipation.

She has been on peppermint capsules, and a mix of other mess from the doctors or over-the-counter. All with varying degrees of benefit.

Has anyone suffered this? And can offer any suggestions? :watermelon:

Kellyjames
28th November 2016, 20:17
I get this from time to time, the best advice I can offer is to try and avoid those foods that cause the problem. I dont think there is a cut and dry solution to this.

Yogi001
30th November 2016, 20:38
Have you tried Aloe juice? This stuff is amazing and very soothing on the gut.

J-jay
2nd December 2016, 08:14
I get bloating after eating bread, so I only eat it on rare occasions.

Eliminate the foods that cause you problems. Or cut out everything from your diet and start back on very plain whole food. Introduce processed foods back into your diet slowly.

Dale42
8th January 2017, 18:06
Try taking a digestive aid supplement, or probiotics. I hear they can work really well, but shop around, because there is a wide variety of quality supplements.

lucymc
12th January 2017, 13:46
My mother also suffers from IBS. She always nervous about everything. I often chill her out with a cup of chamomile tea. I read an article about the health benefit of chamomile then found this article https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome/. It said that chamomile is loaded with the antispasmodic property and rich in the amount of tannins which can excellently provide a great source of relief of IBS symptoms, including diarrhea. This kind of flower also aids in treating both the inflammation in the intestines and abdominal spasms. I usually add three teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup of boiled water and wait for about 15 minutes to let it steep. After that, I strain it out and add a little amount of lemon juice. You should try make her a nice cup of tea every morning.

Yogi001
13th January 2017, 20:49
My mother also suffers from IBS. She always nervous about everything. I often chill her out with a cup of chamomile tea. I read an article about the health benefit of chamomile then found this article https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-irritable-bowel-syndrome/. It said that chamomile is loaded with the antispasmodic property and rich in the amount of tannins which can excellently provide a great source of relief of IBS symptoms, including diarrhea. This kind of flower also aids in treating both the inflammation in the intestines and abdominal spasms. I usually add three teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup of boiled water and wait for about 15 minutes to let it steep. After that, I strain it out and add a little amount of lemon juice. You should try make her a nice cup of tea every morning.

This is really interesting, I didn't realise chamomile is so effective. I have read that it is generally good for digestive complaints such as indigestion, peptic ulcers, and bouts of colic.

It's also good to help calm irritability, nervousness, and tension headaches, helping to promote sleep and relaxation. Your mother may find this aspect beneficial too Lucymc.

lucymc
14th January 2017, 13:40
This is really interesting, I didn't realise chamomile is so effective. I have read that it is generally good for digestive complaints such as indigestion, peptic ulcers, and bouts of colic.

It's also good to help calm irritability, nervousness, and tension headaches, helping to promote sleep and relaxation. Your mother may find this aspect beneficial too Lucymc.

Yeah me either until I read the article and let her try that method for a couple week. It actually turns out much better! :)

sophie
20th January 2017, 19:24
Wow! Thanks for all your suggestions guys, Mum has been drinking organic peppermint tea 3 times a day and she find this works really well too.

Daisy82
23rd January 2017, 21:02
Mint tea is so soothing, if you have smoothies, throw in some fresh mint.

I hear IBS can be difficult to treat because of the varied causes, so it's often about finding the stimulant and cutting it from your diet.

guv-ner
4th February 2017, 09:03
Cut out all known foods to cause irritation. Dairy and wheat is a good place to start, stay off these for a week or two to see how your body reacts, if the problem still continues, then choose other food stuffs to eliminate from your diet. Once you have found the cause, you can start to introduce the foods slowly back into your diet. But not in groups for example wheat or dairy, but in individual food items, i.e milk, yogurt, great, cereal.

Also it is worth seeking out foods that are known to be gentle on the stomach, anti-spasmodic like mint. IBS is painful and can be debilitating, but you don't have to turn to medication for the answers, you can find more natural solutions.
IBS is a symptom that the body is not happy with something. If you continue to eat the foods that cause the problem, but take medication to mask the symptoms you are only causing your body harm.

Louise
15th February 2017, 21:01
I think it is worthy noting that low levels of hydrochloic acid in the stomach can give the symptoms of wind, abdominal pain, discomfort and bloating. Similar symptoms to IBS.

It it is best to bring up the levels naturally using fruits and vegetables. Kiwi's and celery juice are very beneficial in maintaining healthy levels of hydrocloric acid. A plethora of amino acids including serine, leucine and lysine all help to raise acid levels, bringing relief.

Harry
27th June 2017, 12:42
Aloe Vera juice is very beneficial at helping to soothe the gut and bowel, I take a shot or two a day just to keep everything happy and regular. I've tried a few varieties, but find myself coming back to Pukka Aloe Vera juice every time. It has a nice taste, and seems to have the most effective benefits.

ClaudetteBenner
27th June 2017, 21:01
Try supplementing with a digestive enzyme, and take a probiotic, you might find this helps with the bloating and cramping.

CristineMichaud
28th June 2017, 20:39
I've suffered on and off for years with IBS, I seem to get flare-ups of it and it seems that nothing improves the situation. It's quite painful and debilitating, the pain goes straight into you back.

I'll give some of these suggestions a try, although sometimes when you get a flare up, you're almost too afraid to try anything out of fear of making things worse.

Jules
22nd August 2017, 19:27
I took your advice and I am taking a Digestive Enzyme supplement and they are working wonders so really worth giving them a try. One tablet after each meal and my pain, bloating and wind! Is so much better.

CristineMichaud
23rd August 2017, 05:49
I took your advice and I am taking a Digestive Enzyme supplement and they are working wonders so really worth giving them a try. One tablet after each meal and my pain, bloating and wind! Is so much better.

How long did it take before you started to see the benefits? And are you taking a probiotic too?

Jules
23rd August 2017, 08:08
The benefits are immediate, not taking probiotics yet. I suffer really badly and my sister also recommended taking the tablets and I don't have the crippling pain in my stomach after food anymore and that awful bloating doesn't happen. I used to look pregnant after a meal but the tablets seem to stop that. Give them a go they really are worth a try. I hope they work for you too, good luck x

Morris1954
24th November 2017, 17:01
The benefits are immediate, not taking probiotics yet. I suffer really badly and my sister also recommended taking the tablets and I don't have the crippling pain in my stomach after food anymore and that awful bloating doesn't happen. I used to look pregnant after a meal but the tablets seem to stop that. Give them a go they really are worth a try. I hope they work for you too, good luck x

Do you still take digestive enzymes? is it something you have to take forever? or can you do a short course and be done with it?

Jules
24th November 2017, 19:06
Hi there, the tablets have to become a part of your eating plan as the benefits seem to be immediate. A bit like taking a pain killer for a headache! Hope that makes sense? Good luck

Morris1954
24th November 2017, 19:54
Hi there, the tablets have to become a part of your eating plan as the benefits seem to be immediate. A bit like taking a pain killer for a headache! Hope that makes sense? Good luck

Thanks Jules, that's the only thing with starting any supplement, they work well while your taking them, but when you stop it all reverts back to the problems. Proving to be an expensive game.

Although it's good to hear the benefits are fairly immediate, which may be helpful during the Christmas season with parties and lots of eating to contend with. :doh

AletheaRiggs
30th November 2017, 15:43
Have you tried changing your diet? the bloating, and general stomach problems are a symptom of something irritating you. Why carry on eating something that is causing you so many problems that you need to purchase medication to deal with it. Just cut it out.

Linette
5th April 2018, 05:41
I think this is becoming more of a common problem in our society, everyone I know seems to suffer from irritable bowel, bloating, constipation and so on...

I really do think it is down to poor diet choices, poor quality of food, toxin overload and stress, and I think bowel and stomach cancer will become one of the top cancers in the UK, as a result.

I’ve been on other forums when people ask about curing their acid reflux and they want every cure other than one that changes their diet, why is this?