PDA

View Full Version : Acne

Teri23
4th November 2016, 14:51
I am really interested in the idea that our ailments are an expression of our health, this site really seems to highlight that, that is the case.

I have developed adult acne (I never had it as a teenager), I have had it for some time now and it has really made me feel self conscious of people looking at me. I have had antibiotics from the doctor and tried gels and creams, all with some benefit, but non lasting. All symptom management.

I would like to deal with the cause, does anyone have any suggestions? :acne: (I can't believe you have an acne simile)

Dannij
7th November 2016, 16:21
I think that skin conditions are an outward sign of internal problems. So putting things on your skin, without taking care of the inner you will mean you are fighting a losing battle.

look for foods that help to reduce inflammation, and are beneficial for skin. flush out toxins with drinking water.

Jade26
8th November 2016, 12:46
Hi Teri23, I've just started a thread on Chinese medicine, in it I mention about acne.

Chinese medicine links acne with the stomach, so this might suggest that if you changed your diet, added in some probiotics for digestion or just was more mindful of the food you were eating your acne may start to improve.

I don't know anything about Chinese medicine, and maybe a practitioner would have a different treatment, but it is worth a go.

Louise
8th November 2016, 21:28
Hi Teri23,

Acne is such a terrible condition with affects us mentally, as much as it affects our appearance. Sulfur is known to be very beneficial for the treatment of acne.
These benefits can be gained from topical treatments in the form of soaps or creams, and in dietary format too.
The healing properties are gained from the natural antibiotic properties in sulfur.

Teri23
10th November 2016, 08:30
Jade26, thanks for the post, I don't know anything about Chinese medicine, but the link is interesting. I do get bloating after I've eaten. Presumed this was normal, but maybe it's digestive issues.

I'll certainly look more into it, I'll let you know.

Daisy82
12th November 2016, 15:48
Hi, This may sound a bit random, but have you seen the articles on using banana peel on your face?

wipe the inside of the banana peel on your face, and leave on for about 30 minutes, (meanwhile eat the banana), then wash off.

After a daily treatment for a few days, your skin should look less red, and much improved.:encouragement:

Louise
16th November 2016, 09:15
Tea tree is oil is very old fashioned remedy, but it works. Purchase the organic essential oil and add it to some coconut oil and use it as a cleanser or moisturiser. Make sure your oil is organic raw, so it is as natural as it can be, no added chemicals which means less irritation to your skin.

sophie
21st November 2016, 21:25
Try wiping a piece of fresh lemon across your acne, it will help clear up your skin and de-Slough old skin cells.

Yogi001
24th November 2016, 07:13
I have suffered from the odd bout of hormonal spots, always occurring in the same places, cheeks, nose and forehead. I wouldn't consider it acne, but it does seem to be frequented by a redness that seems to stay indefinitely.

So, I did a bit of searching and decided to concoct my own routine and I have seen a difference in my skin within days.

First, I wipe a piece of fresh Lemon around my face, this stings a little on open spots.

I leave this to dry, then wash off after a period of time, this time varies according to what I am doing, so it may be 5 ,minutes or up to an hour.

I then moisturise with coconut oil and a splash of tea tree oil (essential oil), at night, I wash and apply tea tree oil directly and sparingly, (not near the eyes). I finish off with some horse chestnut cream, that takes away the redness.

This routine has worked a treat, the lemon and tea tree get rid of bacteria, both very natural and the horse chestnut reduces redness.

sophie
25th November 2016, 19:46
I found out today that Zinc is excellent for acne, and general skin conditions. Add some pumpkin seeds in your diet.

Kellyjames
28th November 2016, 20:16
Honey is supposed to be a natural antiseptic and healer, try it on your skin.

over the hill
2nd December 2016, 20:31
The problem with honey is that your skin warms it ip and it starts to slide, making a mess. You are better to mix it with some oats or something.

Kitkat
5th December 2016, 20:55
The essential oil Rose, is supposed to be very calming on the face.

lucymc
3rd February 2017, 03:26
What about blackhead? Does anyone get this annoying problem?

Rainbow
3rd February 2017, 13:40

HI Lucymc, I did suffer from blackheads from time to time and also from enlarged pores. Here is an old fashioned suggestion to help clear the blackheads...

Try Baking soda, a staple in any kitchen. Baking soda is great for getting rid of blackheads, it has an antiseptic quality and acts as an exfoliant to scrub away dead cells.
Because it helps to neutralise the skins pH, it encourages the skin to produce less oil, helping it to maintain a spot free appearance without drying the skin.

- Mix baking soda with a little water to form a paste

- Apply to the affected area, and allow to dry for about 10 minutes

- Rinse with warm water and apply your usual moisturiser

- Repeat once or twice a week.:encouragement:

Tanya
3rd February 2017, 18:20

Have you tried lemon juice?

It contains Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) which is a natural astringent, it removes dead skin cells and helps to unclog pores. It is rich in vitamin C which stimulates collagen to improve overall skin health.

I normally cut a thin slice and wipe it all over my face, leave it to dry for as long as you want, then wash off with warm water when ready.

emily
7th February 2017, 17:09

As for me, I highly recommend you try out green tea. This is an amazing product. It gives you unbelievable effects. :) Mix about 1 tablespoon green tea powder with water into a viscous paste, then scrub on acne skin for 2-3 minutes then rinse with warm water. The antioxidants from green tea will help cleanse oily skin and open pores for blackheads quickly. Green tea doesn't give much acids as lemon juice. So If you apply this method, you don't have to worry about getting your face thinner skin. I only use green tea as the best result. Good luck ;)

Kellyjames
15th February 2017, 20:46
I read in the mango article than mushed mango applied to the skin is very beneficial for unblocking pores, which will lead to a decrease is blackheads and acne.

It also benefits your skin when eaten :acne:

Rainbow
18th May 2017, 16:00
I have recently been suffering from hormonal acne, which seems to last around 10 days (if i'm lucky), Changing my diet to cut out all bread and gluten products really seem to make a difference, with breakouts becoming quite rare.

Maybe a strict change in diet may offer some relief and then very gradually re-introduce food types to find out if diet is playing a big role in your acne.

Teri23
29th May 2017, 19:19
I found out today that Zinc is excellent for acne, and general skin conditions. Add some pumpkin seeds in your diet.

Hi Sophie,

Your suggestion was such a simple change to make, so I started to take some pumpkin and sunflower seeds to work and I munch on them throughout my day and now my acne seems so much more manageable. Great suggestion, thank you :jb:

Kitkat
31st May 2017, 19:54
I think a clean body on the inside is represented by the skin on the outside. If you clean up internally, your skin will glow with health.

Esme
23rd June 2017, 07:52
I agree with Kitkat, I used to suffer from acne breakouts, which would last 3 weeks in every 4, but I decided to change my diet quite radically for a different reason other than my acne, but as a bonus I found my breakouts were less common and when they did occur they last very briefly and were less intense.

I added into my diet probiotics, so it is difficult to say whether it epwas the change in my diet, the probiotics or a combination of both,
But it worked.

So I strongly believe your skin represents your internal state. It is your body's way of trying to tell you something is wrong, listen to it.

cherry
25th June 2017, 05:49
I agree with the idea of cleaning from the inside out, but topically try using fresh lemon to wipe on your face and leave on the a minute or too. This is great natural antiseptic and will help to clear away decaying cells. It helps to make your skin look brighter too.
After a minute or two, rinse off with water. The apply an organic cream that is designed for acne irritable skin. dr. Hauschka does a great range.

That's it. Keep it simple and as natural as possible. Try taking digestive enzymes and probiotics, eat as clean as possible, you see a difference in about 1month maximum.

Rachael
29th June 2017, 22:20
Lemon and avocado mushed together and applied to the skin can help to eliminate acne scars.

Pansy
11th August 2017, 19:55
Make sure you eat foods rich in vitamin E, and have a good cleansing regime, I know it sounds boring advice, but it is essential to keep the bacteria to a minimum, finish off with a little diluted lemon water and leave to dry on your face. Also, have make-up free days.

My hormones give me a weeks worth of acne, I'm not sure how you go about preventing hormonal acne. If anyone has any answers, I'd be keen to hear them.

Janice
25th November 2017, 21:40
I cut out dairy and found that my acne cleared up almost overnight, now if I have dairy by accident I very quickly break out in spots.