PDA

View Full Version : Depression

Morris1954
4th November 2016, 14:44
I have suffered for years with depression, and take the usual concoction of prescription drugs, which are okay, they stable the highs and lows, but tend to leave me feeling numb and flat.

I wonder if it is possible that just like diabetes, dementia, asthma, arthritis etc are linked to food and our environment, it is possible that depression could also be linked?

I suppose what I am asking is, can it be cured by food?

Teri23
4th November 2016, 14:53
Hi Morris1954,

I am sorry to hear about your depression, hopefully people on here can offer some advice.

Did you see the article on gut bacteria? that might me a place to start.

Louise
4th November 2016, 19:51
B vitamins are excellent for helping to combat depression. I would have a look at the vitamins which are known to be beneficial mood enhancers, things that affect serotonin and then find the foods that have the highest concentrations. This would be a good way to start building your health back up.

John B
7th November 2016, 20:04
I know this might sound a stupid question, but do you know what the cause is? For example, I did go through a period of mild depression when my weight peaked, and I felt fat, ugly, I was angry with myself for allowing myself to get so big. I was frustrated, unhealthy, unfit and generally miserable. Getting dressed in the morning reminded me first thing I was fat, and last thing at night, getting undressed reminded me I was fat. I started to lose my confidence and wouldn't go out as much.

I felt depressed, but the reality was, I wasn't depressed I was fat. Now I'm on my journey to a better me, the depression is lifting as the weight comes off.

Try doing some soul searching to discover why you are depressed.

Jade26
8th November 2016, 12:56
Depression is such a terrible disorder, it is a whole for those that suffer and frustrating for those that don't. I have been fortunate, not to suffer from depression, but I have watched family members suffer for years. What have I learnt from all of those years? Well, I have learnt that doctors don't know what to do with depression and I know that medication does not work.

Mainstream medicine seems to throw everyone into one pot and diagnose everyone with depression with further investigation as to an underlying cause.

I went to my GP after my home and work life fell apart, the causes of my misery were obvious, and I was feeling overwhelmed by the circumstances. My GP instantly went for the prescription pad for antidepressants, which I refused. I wasn't depressed I was just was struggling to spin life's plates, I needed advice, a helping hand in life, some focus, anything but tablets.

Morris1954 don't rush to come off your tablets, but look for some alternatives to help lift your mood naturally.
Use this forum for a place to talk to people.

Kellyjames
8th November 2016, 14:16
Everyone seems depressed now-a-days. Is it a genuine problem, or just a phrase that everyone uses?
I do think that the doctors dish out anti-dress ants like sweets and are they really making a difference? Why is the cause never looked into?

Louise
9th November 2016, 14:53
Hi, I have just posted an article from TEDx Talks on depression, check it out. Further articles are due to be posted on the link between depression and nutrition.

https://www.organicallypure.co.uk/forum/content.php?301-Microbes-Mental-Wellness-Mealtime

over the hill
9th November 2016, 19:10
I saw that article, it's very interesting. But, it seems that everything is bad for you, how do you know who is telling you the truth?
Surely, if it was as simple as diet the doctors would tell us. Everything cant be diet related.

Louise
9th November 2016, 22:47
Magnesium can help improve mood and give us energy. It produces and supports the brain chemical serotonin.
Magnesium is also excellent at helping the muscle to relax.

Daisy82
10th November 2016, 08:52
The article on depression was interesting. What I don't understand is why, when there is a known connection between depression and food, why doctors instantly offer ani-depressants rather than offering dietary advice, or referral you to clinics where food/diet is discussed.

Louise
10th November 2016, 19:13
I have posted another article which may provide some understanding into how diet can play a huge part in recovering from depression.

Please feel free to comment.

https://www.organicallypure.co.uk/forum/content.php?227-Depression-there-is-hope

Morris1954
12th November 2016, 22:21
Thanks for the replies, I saw the article, I have started to incorporate some of the foods. But, what kind of time frame should I start to see a difference?

sophie
21st November 2016, 21:26
I find that my mood is more stable and generally lifted if I have brown rice 2-3 times a week. I think it must be the B-vitamins

Beatrice
20th September 2020, 16:57
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I wondered if there are any tried and tested foods, supplements without going down the classic anti-depressant route?

What are people’s experiences of their journey through depression?

Joolz
20th September 2020, 17:42
Depression is a clinical diagnosis and in my opinion there is no food that can alleviate symptoms but cutting out alcohol and large amounts of sugar helps.

Meghan
22nd September 2020, 06:33
I suffer from depression and it is an ongoing low mood over months and years and no amount of change in diet can change clinical depression. I do get very cross when people say they are depressed when in actual fact they have had a bad week and are feeling low, it is totally different to a feeling of complete emptiness and a desire to die! I know that sounds dramatic but it’s true

Morris1954
22nd September 2020, 20:23
An update, I’ve also noticed that since being on antidepressants my memory worsened, initially I was told that was the depression, but a quick internet search and it seems common knowledge that antidepressants can affect your ability to recall information, or get easily confused.

Emma
20th January 2024, 17:11
My Nephew is struggling with this at the moment, old issues have come to the surface, seemingly out of no where, it’s been heartbreaking watching him suffer, but I suggested multi-vitamin and mineral, with additional vit D and vitamin B complex.

It took about 6-8 weeks but the benefits are really starting to show and he managing to cope with the every day bits now, he still struggles to venture into society, but he’s getting there. I’m convinced the supplements are making a difference.

Alf
23rd January 2024, 19:09
Depression seems to be rampant these days, everyone I speak to seems to be on an antidepressant, I do question if the tablets are needed and whether it really was a clinical depression diagnosis, or the person is just going through a period of stress in their lives!

These tablets are known for making people dependant on them and I think they dumb people down!

Heather
24th January 2024, 18:41
Depression seems to be rampant these days, everyone I speak to seems to be on an antidepressant, I do question if the tablets are needed and whether it really was a clinical depression diagnosis, or the person is just going through a period of stress in their lives!

These tablets are known for making people dependant on them and I think they dumb people down!

They are incredibly hard to wean yourself off them as well. I had a family member who went into a bad place mentally, but didn’t want to take anti-depressants. We used high doses of vitamin D and complex vitamin B and this seem to do the trick in helping to lift the mood.