PDA

View Full Version : Brexit

Kellyjames
3rd November 2016, 21:29
Which ever way you voted, you couldn't write this whole debacle. I wonder what will happen if the house of commons vote against leaving, what then?

Stale mate between the House of Commons and the voting public? and then what does it mean for our democracy?:ambivalence:

guv-ner
3rd November 2016, 21:36
Am I right in thinking that if an appeal fails, it could get referred to the European Court?

Like you said, you couldn't write it, how ironic!

Mummy2Two
3rd November 2016, 22:39
I think it is disgusting!

over the hill
3rd November 2016, 22:42
I cant help but think this was the plan all along. They needed a way to get us out of this vote, and this will be their escape route.

Teri23
4th November 2016, 14:55
I voted to remain, so to be honest, I see this as a positive move to not rule anything out.
But, I do understand that whichever way you voted if the vote gets over turned, it is a black mark on democracy.

Louise
4th November 2016, 17:17
I think it is interesting turn of events, although not surprising.

The whole Brexit saga, seems to have been played out without really understanding of what the feeling was, at the time. I do think however, if the referendum were to take place again now, the result would be very different.

Morris1954
4th November 2016, 20:04
I'm sure the media are whipping this up to be a case of in/out Brexit. I think it is actually something to do with protocols and who gets to trigger article 50.

Dannij
7th November 2016, 16:44
I think you are right Morris1954, the media have a lot to answer for, including the outcome of the Brexit vote.

lifesaball
7th November 2016, 19:49
I think the most important thing in the future Brexit negotiations is that the media and politicians stand united and not squabble or bitch.
We need to present ourselves as a country that has it all, and have a 'Why wouldn't you want to deal with us' attitude instead of the usual inflight and back stabbing. Treat the country like we are a company trying to attract investment.

guv-ner
8th November 2016, 12:28
I think that there are unofficial talks going on all the time. It seems that according to the general public (media) the success of the negation hinges on whether we allow free movement of people. That seems to be the only thing people care about.

lifesaball
8th November 2016, 13:56
the success of the negation hinges on whether we allow free movement of people. That seems to be the only thing people care about.

I think the free movement of people is inevitable, the world is changing and resources are scarce, war is rampant and as a result people are moving away from their land to find a better life. Given the same circumstances, most people in this country would do the same. It is a fact we should learn to live with a find a way to make it work.

J-jay
9th November 2016, 19:00
https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1-toblerone-brexit-meme-bellanaija.jpg

I think this ties up two threads beautifully :encouragement:

guv-ner
10th November 2016, 18:17
Has anyone seen this? https://www.rt.com/uk/366132-eu-brexit-voluntary-citizenship/

I think it is a great idea, that way everyone is happy, those that wanted to stay in Europe and those that didn't.

love2shop
10th November 2016, 18:39
Has anyone seen this? https://www.rt.com/uk/366132-eu-brexit-voluntary-citizenship/

The EU is about to collapse anyway, this is just the EU grabbing at straws. The problem is, they cant make it too easy for us, otherwise there will be a mass exodus by other EU nations.

Kellyjames
10th November 2016, 20:37
Personally, I think this is a great idea, I think its the best of both worlds.

The way the world is going, I think we should keep our options wide open.

Louise
11th November 2016, 23:09
It will be interesting to watch how Ms Le Pen changes the French vote, and the subsequent fall out of that. The media suggests she is intreagued by the Brexit and Trump votes and the changing psyche in the Western world.

Morris1954
12th November 2016, 22:23
It looks like the USA has had their Brexit moment too, it'll be France next.

J-jay
13th November 2016, 19:00
I think Le Penn will throw a spanner in the works, within the EU, and therefore the EU will have to think long and hard about its future tactics with all countries in or out of the EU.
If France eventually votes to leave, then the cards will definitely tumble and the EU will be no more. The people are sick of Unity' at the price it currently stands at. That is clear to see in both the UK and the USA.

Tom32
17th November 2016, 06:34
I think that there are unofficial talks going on all the time. It seems that according to the general public (media) the success of the negation hinges on whether we allow free movement of people. That seems to be the only thing people care about.
The free movement of people was the deciding factor for Brexit, and that worked both ways. It is important, the free movement of people may have brought us problems, but it also helped build our country.
I hate to use the old adage, but foreign workers have plugged the gap in the jobs market that our own workers do not want to fill.

J-jay
17th November 2016, 21:23
I think any future negotiations should include movement of people, not necessarily free, but a controlled version.

Tom32
21st November 2016, 08:55
I see Tony Blair is wading back into politics, with the hope to save the country from Brexit. What state is the Labour Party in to allow this man back in to represent them!

Dale42
21st November 2016, 19:51
Why does the Labour party have to be in a state? He was a good prime minister, if you take out the small issue of war. On home affairs he was as good as anyone else.
Maybe, he has a lot to offer....with hindsight and all that!

lifesaball
21st November 2016, 21:17
I read he wants to bring the public a second referendum, doesn't this mean he as lost touch with reality? The public voted to leave the EU, you can't keep have referendums until you get the answer you want.

Dale42, I don't think it is acceptable to belittle war, many people have died for the decisions that government makes, Blair is no accept ion to these decisions and should be punished for the decision he made, incorrectly.

Gwen Jones
24th November 2016, 20:32
There seems to be a lot of scare mongering going on in the press now-a-days. The latest suggesting universities may have to close as a result of Brexit.
I do wonder if this is all building up to a huge turn around by MP's.

Dale42
24th November 2016, 20:36
Lifesaball, you are confusing my sarcasm as my belittling of War, quite the contrary. War is a huge deal, and for that and our reasoning to enter into a war, which I feel is still ongoing today, and has led our shores to be a target for ISIS. Tony Blair should be held accountable for his decisions, and not be allowed to be in such an import position of office again.

Gwen Jones
25th November 2016, 21:09
It looks like Tony Blair is going to get the votes for a U-Turn on Brexit.

over the hill
26th November 2016, 16:54
I'm convinced there are plans in place, pawns to manoeuvre to stop us leaving The EU.
All the attics are there for all to see, Blair moves in, calls for a general election, Blair gets re-instated, cancels Brexit.

Tom32
3rd December 2016, 19:58
It would have to be something pretty elaborate for them to find a way out of Brexit, the country wouldn't allow the democratic voice to be overturned.

Gwen Jones
18th May 2017, 19:46
I read that the Lib Dems are suggesting that they will offer the opportunity of a second referendum once the Brexit deal has been bashed out, if the voters decide that they don't like it, then we will get to stay in the EU....err:doh

What makes him/them think that after two years of negotiations, huge costs etc that the EU will just say...oh alright then..stay! And let's just say they did, it would not be on the same terms we once had.

I think anyone that votes for Lib dems on the premise of these promises foolish and naive.

over the hill
19th May 2017, 14:55
I think my previous posts have been wishful thinking, and to be honest, I think even if there were to be another referendum regarding Brexit, we have to ask the question whether the EU would agree to us staying with them. I'm sure if that were the case we would have a different set of agreements.

Tom32
19th May 2017, 17:07
I think my previous posts have been wishful thinking, and to be honest, I think even if there were to be another referendum regarding Brexit, we have to ask the question whether the EU would agree to us staying with them. I'm sure if that were the case we would have a different set of agreements.

I think that ship has sailed. There is no chance of going back now. The only thing we have to look forward to is what we are left with after the EU make leaving as bloody difficult as possible.

The EU needs to set example for any future countries that may consider leaving. It is not going to be pretty, and the media is going to make everything so much worse.

Yogi001
20th May 2017, 06:55
I think who ever gets in the next government, they need to stand firm on their Brexit ideals, because I think it will be easy to feel bullied by the mighty EU.

What worries me is that all parties have their own idea of what Brexit means, and therein lies the problem of Brexit in general. No one actually knows what Brexit means, because it means something different to every person that voted.

Let's be honest, the campaign and the ballot paper was poor done and in theory should be illegal, as it leaves more questions than it has ever answered. What should have happened was that an initial consultation referendum of in or out, followed by maybe four options of what 'out' should represent. i.e continue with free movement of people, have the common market etc
But only once clarification with the EU was made on some of the main points. Only then would we have a clearer picture of what it means to the UK.

Votes were made blindly and with hindsight, I don't think the option should ever have been given to us. No one knew what they were really voting for.

Dale42
20th May 2017, 10:43
I think you have a valid point there Yogi001, I wonder how many people (with hindsight) would have still voted to exit The EU?

Given the complexities, I don't think the referendum should have ever been put on the table in the first place, we are too intertwined in the EU to make coming out such an easy possibility as to offer people a yes or no vote with such scarcity of information.

I'm shocked at how the vote was allowed to stand based on the lies given by politicians to sway a vote. Quite frankly these politicians should be held to account and certainly not be able to hold a position in office again.

over the hill
2nd June 2017, 14:56
We should never have been offered the vote and as we were it should have been carefully worked out, what the implications are to our future and our place in the world. There should have only been facts allowed to be discussed. There should have been a follow-up referendum, once basic agreements were in place. the whole thing is a farce.

I think the Tories will bring us a very hard Brexit and I think labour will bring us a soft Brexit, but I doubt it will be in keeping with the main reason people voted out - immigration.