PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and first time drivers

Tom32
2nd November 2016, 18:07
Did anyone read in the news this morning about insurance companies thinking of taking a snap shot off Facebook from potential new drivers? This is to decide how much of a risk they are to insure!
I think this is a dangerous infringement of privacy. Facebook should protect its customers and not allow it.

John B
2nd November 2016, 18:40
Not sure how the insurance companies will obtain this info. Will it be from information that people allow public access to, or will the insurance bods have access to locked down accounts where only friends have access to?

The other problem is, people's online persona is often very different from who they actually are in the real world.

Teri23
3rd November 2016, 07:24
I saw this in the news, the thing is, like John B says, people have a pretend persona on FB, plus someone who parties at the weekend, takes a taxi or gets someone to pick them up, may display all the pictures of their fun time. But Monday -Friday they are average housebound Jo blogs.
I think it is a slippery slope, and another way to justify putting up the prices.

Kellyjames
3rd November 2016, 21:18
I feel that the insurance companies will go to any length to justify their extortionate prices. I feel so sorry for the first time drivers.
Looking on Facebook is not an accurate picture of someones life, and certainly a 'snap shot' could relate to anything!

Bumblebee
28th July 2020, 15:58
I am looking for a car for my son and I feel so cross that the cost of insurance is so high. I appreciate they are trying to keep younger drivers off the road but penalise them after they make a mistake not before!

Ben17
28th July 2020, 18:13
I am looking for a car for my son and I feel so cross that the cost of insurance is so high. I appreciate they are trying to keep younger drivers off the road but penalise them after they make a mistake not before!

I know exactly how that feels! My advice is to go through a comparison site as the costs vary massively

Carol78
31st July 2020, 17:53

Is there anyway this cost can be reduced?

Carol78
31st July 2020, 17:55
Isn’t there a box you can put on a car to limit the driving?