PDA

View Full Version : burning mouth syndrome

Nellie G
1st November 2016, 16:28
I have suffered from burning mouth syndrome for many years. Doctors don`t seem to know how to treat it , it has changed my life, it is so debilitating, does anyone have any suggestions ?:(

Gwen Jones
1st November 2016, 18:40
Have you tried biotene gel? is it because you don't produce saliva?

Kellyjames
1st November 2016, 19:00
Hi Nellie G,

What a horrible condition, and you sound like you have really suffered. I see that you have seen your doctor. What have they prescribed for it?
There are two known drugs available on prescription. Evoxac and Pilocarpene, both have varying success, it seems to depend on the individual. They both share similar side effects, most commonly sweating. I suppose you have to weigh up which is worse sweating or a dry mouth.

I hope these ideas helped, (unless you have already tried them) it will be worth chatting to your doctor about them. Best wishes, I hope you get it sorted.

Louise
1st November 2016, 20:43
Hi Nellie G,

This is an excellent question, and unusual symptom. I have done a little searching around regarding this condition and found that 'normal' toothpastes and mouth washes containing fluoride and alcohol, amongst other chemicals can alter the mouth flora, worsening dry mouth. It may be worth considering a more natural toothpaste without fluoride just for a couple of months to see if there is an improvement in your condition. There is a section on here regarding non-fluoride toothpaste which you may wish to have a look at.
If you get any benefit, please reply to either this thread or the non-fluoride thread. Hope this cheap suggestion offers some benefit.

Morris1954
1st November 2016, 21:12
I read somewhere that a CoQ10 supplement can be helpful in Sjogrens disorder. It may offer you some relief.

Teri23
2nd November 2016, 13:27
Nellie G,

I'm sure you know that certain foods make dry mouth worse, and chewing gum etc can help promote the salivary glands. Try to avoid coffee, red wine and spicy foods.
I know this made sound weird, but I have read that some people have found a benefit in wiping a small slither of coconut oil around their mouth offers them some comfort. Worth a try.:rolleyes:

Nellie G
2nd November 2016, 16:17
Thanks for this will give it a try .

love2shop
2nd November 2016, 16:31
Nellie G,

A bacteria consistantly found in people suffering with Xerostomia (dry mouth) and Sjogrens disease is called Streptococcus Mutans. The mouth, much like the tummy is normally teaming with healthy bacteria, which keeps everything healthy and working as it should.
However, sometimes the bad bacteria take over, often caused by too much acid, sugar, over use of antiobiotics or medications that change the flora in your mouth and gut.

Firstly, cut sugar out of your diet. Eat a fibre rich diet, brush your teeth with a probiotic toothpaste (not easy to get, and quite expensive), or for a cheaper option, use an organic fluoride free toothpaste.
You can buy probiotic chewing gum, which has been shown to help. In addition invest in some good quality probiotics and eat a diet that is gut friendly, eg, live yogurts

After a month or two, you should start to see a huge benefit in your mouth and everyday life.

Nellie G
2nd November 2016, 18:40
Thank you so much for your comments i will give the probiotic products a try and cut out sugar.

Nellie G
2nd November 2016, 18:43
Yes i have tryed biotene gel but found it not very good .I do produce saliva.

Louise
2nd November 2016, 18:51
Nellie G,

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of probiotic toothpaste, but it makes sense.

We would welcome your feedback from anything you try Nellie G, as this may help someone else suffering this same condition.

Mummy2Two
4th November 2016, 13:11
Have you tried Fennel seeds or Cayenne pepper? Both of these naturally stimulate the production of saliva.

Sprinkle onto salads or dishes. You can take the cayenne pepper in capsule form or rub directly onto your tongue :ambivalence:

Green People (https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/fennel-toothpaste-ecocert-natural-50ml) do a fennel toothpaste for £3.80, I'm not sure if this has the same effect, it may be worth a try.

Daisy82
20th February 2017, 11:40
Parsley is very good at combating the bacteria that leads to dry mouth syndrome. Try adding fresh parsley to some of your dishes daily. Cherries are also known to be beneficial for dry mouth, when choosing your cherries, pick those with the darkest colour, to maximise the health benefits.

emily
12th March 2017, 07:57
Oh speaking of mouth symptom, can anyone help me out with oral thrush? I'm frustrated with this annoying symptom. Have anyone got any idea about this?

Daisy82
12th May 2017, 10:08
Oral thrush is as a result of an over growth in Candida, this is caused by the bad bugs in your stomach overtaking the good bugs. Have you tried 'Candigone', you can get it off Amazon, it is not organic, but it is natural. It is a two week course and very good. Hope you feel better soon.:encouragement:

CharlieH
18th May 2017, 07:22
I get dry mouth symptoms intermittently, mainly after I've drank wine the day before. It's a weird type of dry, not like lack of thirst, or waking up in the morning.

It doesn't seem to matter what I drink, I can't overcome the dryness. For me I find that it wears of after a few days, so it doesn't cause me too many problems.

I think it is interesting to see info coming out about gut flora and the connection to out mouth health...which makes sense.

Megan
11th June 2017, 07:19
I saw this thread while browsing through the forum, but didn't comment before as I know nothing about dry mouth syndrome or burning mouth syndrome.

I was in a high street chemist yesterday, in the vitamin section and came across a variety of products for dry eyes, dry nose, dry mouth and it reminded my of this thread.

What I am wondering is how come suddenly there is a need to produce these products and make them so readily available in the shops? This would suggest that this phenomenon is becoming more mainstream and common. But why?
Our bodies aren't designed to dry up before our time, surely it is an indication of something going drastically wrong?

Rachael
11th June 2017, 16:56
Our bodies aren't designed to dry up before our time, surely it is an indication of something going drastically wrong?

It is due to the damage in our gut flora, the toxins and chemicals we consume. Sort your gut flora out and you will find that the symptoms ease.

The problem is that all the products they are selling you will just compound the issue, but offer short term relief.